The Reserve Bank of India has released the bank holidays list for August.
Banks will be shut for a total of 18 days in the month.
Both private and public banks remain shut on gazette holidays, statutory holidays and Sundays.
They are also closed on the second and fourth Saturdays of every month.
Aside from these there are various regional festivals that certain states celebrate.
On such occasions, the local branches of the banks in different states would also remain closed.
While physical branches will be shut, online banking services will remain available during the holidays.
- August 7: First Sunday
- August 13: Second Saturday + Patriot’s Day
- August 14: Second Sunday
- August 21: Third Sunday
- August 27: Fourth Saturday
- August 28: Fourth Sunday
National and Regional Holidays
- August 1: Drukpa Tshe-zi – Gangtok
- August 8: Muharram (Ashoora) – Jammu, Srinagar
- August 9: Muharram (Ashoora) – Agartala, Ahmedabad, Aizawl, Belapur, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, New Delhi, Patna, Raipur and Ranchi
- August 11: Raksha Bandhan – Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Dehradun, Jaipur, and Shimla
- August 12: Raksha Bandhan – Kanpur, and Lucknow
- August 13: Patriot’s Day – Imphal
- August 15: Independence Day – All over India
- August 16: Parsi New Year (Shahenshahi) – Belapur, Mumbai, and Nagpur
- August 18: Janmashtami – Bhubaneswar, Dehradun, Kanpur and Lucknow
- August 19: Janmashtami (Shravan Vad-8)/ Krishna Jayanthi – Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Gangtok, Jaipur, Jammu, Patna, Raipur, Ranchi, Shillong and Shimla
- August 20: Sri Krishna Ashtami – Hyderabad
- August 29: Tithi of Srimanta Sankardeva – Guwahati
- August 31: Samvatsari (Chaturthi Paksha)/Ganesh Chaturthi/ Varasiddhi Vinayaka Vrata/ Vinayakar Chathurthi – Ahmedabad, Belapur, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Nagpur and Panaji.
Other important dates
There is only one occasion this month that banks throughout the country will remain closed.
This date falls on August 15 on the occasion of Independence Day.
Other regional holidays include Ganesh Chaturthi, Janmashtami, Shahenshahi, and Muharram.